Friday, June 12, 2009

Reaching Hohhot; Our First Day of Travel

We had a great start to our trip. Lauren (dd 22yo) drove us to the airport
which was such a luxury compared to parking in the long term lot and dragging
our heavy luggage onto a shuttle.

First five minutes inside though, and I'm in trouble. When they say the bags
can weigh 50 pounds each at United, they mean EACH. They don't give you credit
for having one bag weigh 35 pounds and one weigh 55.

So there I am, in the middle of the airport check in desk trying to transfer
items to different bags to balance out the weight. Wouldn't you know it, the
first thing I pull out is my VS panties. (these things are legendary on
Facebook). Luckily they are all space bagged up so no one but me knows what
they are. Otherwise I'm switching around my jelly belly's since someone told me
they were heavy. The tough part was that the only bag with any real room in it
was the one we brought to donate in China to China Little Flower.....and I did
not want my panties going that direction. Note to self.....no matter what,
don't forget to get panties back.

On to a quick bagel breakfast and it's time to head to our gate.. Now things
start to get interesting. The main difference in this trip and the trip to
adopt Cami is that this time we have a three year old with us. Why did that
small detail fail to register with me. LOL! What is hard to endure as an
adult becomes the far reaches of hell for a child.

I'm going to explain our 24 hours of travel with numbers.......You can play
along and guess if you want. Some of you will know the answers.

How many minutes on the runway before the captain came on to say there was a
mechanical problem with the plane................57

How many mechanics banging around under our seats before the captain came back
to say everything was fine..............3

How many times on a twelve hour flight does the seatbelt have to come on due to
turbulence?.....................24

And how do I know that?

Because that's how often traveling 3yo has to go potty.....as soon as the
instructions are given to stay in our seats. By the end, the flight attendants
just looked right through me because they knew they couldn't stop me.

What are the chances that a single family could be assigned the very last seat
in the plane, the one by the bathroom, the one that doesn't recline, on every
single flight......................100% in our case, though I'm not complaining
about the bathroom being near.

In 24 hours of traveling, how many hours do you think our dear 3yo
slept?........about 3 and not in one stretch. And yes, she is sleeping now,
probably actually better on China time than I am. I keep wondering why it's
dark at noon~

I wish I had taken a picture of the government workers who came into the
airplane to take everyone's temperature. But I couldn't get to my camera
because Cami was climbing onto my head, screaming in terror, because of the
person dressed in nuclear whites waving a ray gun at her head. Her
non-cooperation was slowing down the whole plane and everyone knew it. I was
trying to just hold her in range of the ray gun lady. I think I forgot to tell
her what was going to happen. I didn't realized the people would be masked and
have head gear.

We were a little lost in the Beijing airport (biggest airport in the world now
with their addition made to prepare for the US Olympics) We had to go through
three checkpoints where we showed our passports and passed by some medical tents
and had our bodies scanned for fever. I also read in the China Daily that the
Swine Flu has been officially named a pandemic. If this is true, it will only
get harder to get in here.

We also had to lug our luggage up and down stairs a few times, trying to check
in for our domestic flight onto Inner Mongolia. It was .....um.....trying......
so how many Chinese men do you think stopped and stared and pointed when Cami
had a meltdown and refused to move from the middle of the concourse. They would
look at her and then look at us and then talk to each other. Would love to know
what they were saying! We finally just picked Cammi up, along with our other
hundreds of pounds of luggage and traveled on down the road. We were rewarded
with a hot mutton biscuit when we finally got on the plane.

That biscuit came right after I spilt my water bottle all over the nice Chinese
man sitting beside me. By bottle kind of bounced a few times and sprayed water
on his pants, his paper, his phone. he didn't know it was me. He kept looking
up at the vent thinking the plane was leaking. I hid my water bottle and ate my
mutton.

Arriving in Hohhot, we met our guide, Susan Long who has her mother and 3yo
daughter with her. The interesting thing is that beautiful little Yeng Yeng was
adopted from GuangDong. I love that! We also met the couple from ASIA that are
from NC and adopting a little boy from Inner Mongolia with cleft lip and palate. They also
have a 5 year old daughter, so just the bus ride to the hotel was little girl
play land!!!! What a different sort of trip this is going to be!

We have a beautiful room in a 5 star hotel. All the special touches China is
known for, like the glass walled bathroom!!!! I'm enjoying a cup of boiled
water coffee and Nestle 2 + 3, or something like that.

A few pics from our day of travel and arrival in Hohhot....

Cami leaving home with apple in hand

anxiously awaiting to get on the plane

Cami and her travel buddy

Hohhot

another view

Relaxing in the hotel room


10 comments:

  1. I am overjoyed that you are finally in the city where you will meet your daughter and become a family. What a trip!! Can't wait to read the next installment.

    Love
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherri,
    I have been waiting for this post, it looks like it's going to taka while to read....lol. I just wanted to say how Happy I am for you and your family to be in China....woo hoo. Back to reading. Take lots of pictures.
    hugs from Florida,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I'm so amazed. Some of your post made me laugh out loud! And yet, I suspect that I will have a similar experience. Two kids, 5 and 3...add another 5 year old on the way back! I'm investing in a (cool-looking) hip pack -hands free.
    Good luck and best wishes, I can only imagine how amazing it must be to be so close!
    Maria
    P.S. We hope to travel in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sherri and all...you rpost made me laugh so much...sounds like my trip to europe alone with the kids...i hope you can post often...it is so enjoyable to read about this trip to china

    norie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited you're there!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!! I feel your pain with the airport experience :) I still shudder, uh I mean laugh at our trip home! lol :)

    Can't wait to see you all together!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Charlotte T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I know I shouldn't have been laughing at your miseries, but it's pretty stinkin' funny that you sprayed a Chinese guy with your water bottle and he thought the roof was leaking, that you held up the entire plane from taking off with Cami's temp taking trauma and that hundreds of Chinese people were pointing and talking about the horrible American parents kidnapping the Chinese child throwing a fit on the airport floor. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Ah the joys of travel in China. I'm so happy you are there, and by my calculations you should be holding Delilah in about 12 hours!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    hugs
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherri, I am so excited for you and your family. I am happy to hear that you made it there. Sorry it was such a crazy trip but even still I am sure you would agree, worth every minute of trouble. :o)
    Trish Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherri, I did have to snicker at all the travel details. BTDT this past time with a 7 & 4 year old! Not for the faint of heart is it?? Praying for you all on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you make me wish I was in Hohhot again! But boy what you went through to get there! You had me cracking up by the time of the water spilling on the Chinese man. LOL Can't wait to see your first pics with Delilah!

    Fellow IM mama, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful!! I'm so glad you made it in one piece! Can't wait to hear more!
    Be blessed,
    Courtney
    p.s. we got LOA today!!

    ReplyDelete